newby

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

newby

Unread postby paulg » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:55 am

hi all
my name is Paul a pom living in corfu greece,just ordered a 20 litre BM
up till now have been brewing all grain with both 3 vessel and BIAB,I am looking for any advice available.
what software do people use to calculate water etc,I am familiar with brewmate,biabacus and beer engine but will get what ever people recommend
regards Paul
paulg

Model: 50 litres

Re: newby

Unread postby niels » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:02 am

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you will be able to get the information you're looking for. Do not hesitate to ask questions or share your experiences!

:cheers:
Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Cervantes » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:28 am

Welcome aboard Paul.

I personally use Beersmith. I'm not sure how it compares to the other's that you mention as it's all I've ever used.

If you do decide to go that route post here and either I, or one of the other Beersmith users will post an equipment profile to get you started.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby paulg » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:54 am

thanks Andy
I see beersmith has a free trial period so I will wait for BM delivery and then download it .I will then ask for beersmith profile and mash schedule advice
Paul
paulg

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:46 pm

I use beersmith for my 50BM, it has taken a few brews to get it dialled-in, so don't be too surprised if some of your results don't match the software initially.

I've also found that the predicted FG in beersmith can be out because my wort strength and yeast performance exceed that of the beersmith prediction and the manufacturers documented attenuation percentages.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:16 pm

Hi paulg,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new BM.
I use Beersmith 2 and I have used Brewmate as well without problems.
There was a guy on here the other day that said he used Biabacus with good success so if you have that I would give it a try.
With Beersmith it is not really set up for the BM but if you do decide to trial it, then set grain absorption setting to BIAB to start with which seems to get you closer to the correct figures than the other setting which more suits a mash tun.
Cheers
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby swiggingpig » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:51 pm

BrauTim wrote:I've also found that the predicted FG in beersmith can be out because my wort strength and yeast performance exceed that of the beersmith prediction and the manufacturers documented attenuation percentages.

20L BM with Jacket and Copper Hood
swiggingpig

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:56 pm

swiggingpig wrote:
BrauTim wrote:I've also found that the predicted FG in beersmith can be out because my wort strength and yeast performance exceed that of the beersmith prediction and the manufacturers documented attenuation percentages.

I have noticed that as well.
I think it has something to do with the mash schedules but I have looked and I can't seem to put my finger on it.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby paulg » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:34 pm

dicko
yes I have biabacus and have downloaded beersmith to trial.
what rough boil off figures do people use,I think you were quoting 4 litres/hour? and BM dead space ?
do you know the diameter and height of the inside of the BM pot as I think biabacus works from this to guestimate evaporation loss.
thanks
Paul
paulg

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:04 pm

Paul, the figures I have for my 20L BM are;

60 min boil = 3.4l
80 min boil = 4.26l
90 min boil = 5.4l

I am currently using the 80 minute profile which for me, is proving to be quite accurate.
I do suggest you measure and take notes of your machines performance as there will be variable with each brewing situation. ie; cross breezes near the kettle if you brew outside, use of the insulated jacket etc.

I currently have my grain absorption set at .6600 in Beersmith which I feel is close but I suggest you measure your result over the first few brews as others have differing figures.
I can say that my figure varies slightly with different types of grains.
The default for Biab in Beersmith is .5850 from memory but that is easily checked as it is stated in the relevant window of the software.
I am on my ipad at the moment and the Beersmith version for Ipad doesn't state that figure, or at least I cant find it on The Ipad version.

The diameter of the kettle is posted elsewhere on this forum but I cant find it at the moment.
I will measure both dimensions later today for you and get back to you.

Cheers
Dicko

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:32 pm

Paul, the dimensions are as follows

20l Braumeister

Diameter internal =350mm

Depth internal - 440mm
Dicko

Unread postby Cervantes » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:07 am

By my sometimes shaky mathematics, that gives the 20L an actual volume of 42.3 litres.

So you could probably boil up to 35 litres of wort comfortably, providing the heating coil is up to it of course.

If anyone was interested.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:39 am

I second the 42-liter volume for the 20L BM.

However - can't boil 35 liters of wort in 42-liter tank without quite a few drops of FermCap-S.

Boilovers are nasty things. :cheers:

Unread postby Cervantes » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:55 am

cpa4ny,

How much do you reckon that you can boil comfortably without a foam inhibitor?

Just in case I ever get into brewing big beers.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:58 am

You don't necessarily need foam inhibitors.
If you get a trigger type squirt bottle and fill it with clean cold water and then set the nozzle on mist spray and be prepared for when the hot break forms and just squirt it and the hot break will retreat back into the boil almost immediately.
Like any boil, don't turn your back on it until you at 100% sure that the hot break is over and the boil has settled. :cheers:
Dicko

Next

Return to Welcome!