SteveOR used to be a programmer. Last week i brewed 4 days.

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

SteveOR used to be a programmer. Last week i brewed 4 days.

Unread postby SteveOR » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:10 am

Greetings: from eastern Oregon. Have been brewing simple single cooler infusion mashes for many years. I have a blue insulated jacket from 1994 that was used for my first real grain brewing. I have migrated from 5 gallon buckets with insulating jackets to 5 and 10 gallon igloo coolers. A blichmann tower has been my mainstay last couple years. Then i got the indoor kick winters can be more challenging to brew outdoors. Received the 20L from my wife recently. Waited 5 weeks to get an electrician to bring 220 into the kitchen. So last week i filled up my 5 gallon fermenters. I really like the ease of use. Cannot wait to taste whats fermenting. Just ordered two more small fermenters. I am going to brew again Thursday, when new fermentors arrive.

Cheers!
New 20L user.
No experience only 5 batches so far.
as of 15 apr 2014 Now 11 batches.
As of aug 2014 26 batches. I just love this machine!
Sep 2015 now over 100 batches.
SteveOR

Model: 20 litres

RE: SteveOR used to be a programmer. Last week i brewed 4 da

Unread postby niels » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:25 am

Welcome, Steve!

It looks like having 220V is the main issue for BM owners in the US, but I'm sure it is worth the trouble ;)

So what did you brew during those first sessions? Did you recreate previous brewed recipes on the BM?
Also...what kind of fermentors do you use? I currently use a bunch of glass "dame jeannes" (or demijohn or carboy) as these are very common around here.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

RE: SteveOR used to be a programmer. Last week i brewed 4 da

Unread postby SteveOR » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:41 pm

I brewed my very first Lager. Winter time I have a place to ferment at 50F so the very first brew was a lager. I really wanted to try the step mashing. I did two mild Ales and a Porter using step mashing and significantly a protein rest which in my single step infusion mashes I had never done. I had never thought about proteins then looked up my base malt is 12.5% protein. Looking forward to tasting the results. My fermentors are mixed. 1 Stainless 14.5 conical. 2 6.5 gal glass carboy. 3 5 gal glass carboy. In anticipation for this summer and saisons in the garage I picked up 2 plastic speidel 60L fermenters ( still unused). Tomorrow I expect a 30L and 20L speidel plastic. I have a yeast starter working on some WLP002 I salvaged from my last batch during transfer from primary to secondary.

Cheers
New 20L user.
No experience only 5 batches so far.
as of 15 apr 2014 Now 11 batches.
As of aug 2014 26 batches. I just love this machine!
Sep 2015 now over 100 batches.
SteveOR

Model: 20 litres

Return to Welcome!