Hello to all from Codex

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

Hello to all from Codex

Unread postby codex » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:34 am

Hello to all at the Braumeister Forum,

First post.

After recently joining the forum, I though it time to introduce myself. My name is Kevin and I live in England UK.

I am not sure if this is a first, but I am totally new to homebrew, having never brewed beer in my life, yet I am considering a Braumeister as my first system. I have been considering homebrew for a few years, but wanted to by-pass the route of Kit Brews and Extract and start with All Grain. I saw an advert for the Braumeister in a CAMRA magazine, which I thought would be a more suitable system for a novice, (although I am under no illusion that it will be easy, but I am willing to learn)

At present I am still researching and gathering information. Reading the John Palmer book “How to Brew” and trying to get through the 246 pages of the Homebrew Talk thread on the BM, which together with this forum, I have found invaluable.

I have deliberated over 20L vs. 50L, and I am leaning towards the 20L model, as I think it would be rare for me to brew a 50L batch (although the flexibility would be an advantage). One thing I would be interested to know is, of the 50L owners on this forum who have the 25L malt pipe, what percentage of brews do you brew the full 50L as against a 25L brew?

Well that’s all for now, no doubt will be back with lots of questions

Regards

Kevin
codex

RE: Hello to all from Codex

Unread postby niels » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi Kevin, welcome to the forum!

I own a 50l and only used it with the 25l malt pipe. I bought the 50l for the flexibility as I might be brewing larger volumes later on.

:cheers:
Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby codex » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Thanks Niels,

So when using the short malt pipe, do you end up with 25l in the FV, as opposed to 20l with the 20l model?
codex

Unread postby niels » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:00 am

codex wrote:So when using the short malt pipe, do you end up with 25l in the FV, as opposed to 20l with the 20l model?

Yes, the short malt pipe is simply half the capacity of the full malt pipe.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby BrauTim » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:47 pm

codex wrote:
I have deliberated over 20L vs. 50L, and I am leaning towards the 20L model, as I think it would be rare for me to brew a 50L batch (although the flexibility would be an advantage). One thing I would be interested to know is, of the 50L owners on this forum who have the 25L malt pipe, what percentage of brews do you brew the full 50L as against a 25L brew?

Welcome Kevin.

I have both malt pipes and I'm starting to brew more with the 50L, I'll usually brew a new brew with the 25L first and then when it comes time to brewing it again I'll do a 50L batch so that I have a good stock to last and mature as 25L gets drunk too quickly if it's a good un :cheers:

I find that I get a cornie full (18L) and a few bottles with a 25L batch, but I'm eying up 20L, 30L and 50L Sankey kegs which better fit the BM brew sizes (30L & 50L or 2 x 20L per batch).
Last edited by BrauTim on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby codex » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:04 pm

Hi BrauTim

Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like you are using your 50L to its full potential. Could I ask another couple of questions of the 50L model, to help make my mind up?

• Do you have a lifting device to lift the 50L full malt pipe after the mash? I have read that it is too heavy for one person to lift.
• Do you ever find the unit difficult to handle (24kg) for cleaning, moving around and storing?

Do you always condition and serve your beer straight from the keg? I was thinking about bottling mine, but I suppose 50L would take a long time to bottle.

Apologies for all the questions.
codex

Unread postby BrauTim » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:56 pm

codex wrote:
• Do you have a lifting device to lift the 50L full malt pipe after the mash? I have read that it is too heavy for one person to lift.

See This thread

• Do you ever find the unit difficult to handle (24kg) for cleaning, moving around and storing?

It's not too bad, the handles make it easier to lift and move around and I usually clean when it's on it's side. It's stored in it's dedicated brewing position in my garage.

Do you always condition and serve your beer straight from the keg? I was thinking about bottling mine, but I suppose 50L would take a long time to bottle.

I serve directly from the cornie keg and I also use a Blichmann beer gun to bottle from kegs it depends where/when I want my beer to be served. The beer is usually force carbonated/conditioned or in the case of wheat beer can be primed into the keg and bottle straight away, also use a bottle rinser and bottle tree making life easier all round.

Apologies for all the questions.

Happy to help :beer:
BrauTim

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:13 am

BrauTim wrote: I also use a Blichmann beer gun to bottle from kegs it depends where/when I want my beer to be served

best 100 euro i ever spent at the brewing supply.
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby BrauTim » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:45 pm

codex wrote:• Do you ever find the unit difficult to handle (24kg) for cleaning, moving around and storing?

I should also add that I don't think that the BM50 weighs 24Kg, it doesn't really feel like it does anyway, maybe the weight includes the malt pipe and filters, maybe it's the shipped weight, I'm not sure, but it doesn't really feel like it's more than 20Kg when I'm moving it for cleaning and it is empty.
BrauTim

Unread postby BrauTim » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:47 pm

dinnerstick wrote:
BrauTim wrote: I also use a Blichmann beer gun to bottle from kegs it depends where/when I want my beer to be served

best 100 euro i ever spent at the brewing supply.

:beerbang:

It's great for anything below ~2.5vols of CO2 at room temperature, I think you need to get everything really cold to prevent foaming when you get over that level.
BrauTim

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:55 am

BrauTim wrote:
It's great for anything below ~2.5vols of CO2 at room temperature, I think you need to get everything really cold to prevent foaming when you get over that level.

i've never tried it at room temp. if i have something really foamy or high co2 i chill down to 1 degree and put the bottles in the fridge beforehand, but for a normal ~2.5 vol beer at 4-6 degrees and room temp bottles i don't have problems.
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby BrauTim » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:24 pm

I've just weighed the BM50, empty, no lid, no malt pipe, it comes in at a shade under 14Kg, which is why it doesn't feel anything like 24Kg when handling it.
BrauTim

Unread postby codex » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:43 pm

Thanks for the info. The 24kgs was taken from the specs in the manual, but includes full size malt pipe and all internal fittings.

Anyway, the BM50L is definitely back in the running. I think it has more flexibility in the longer term, after I gain some experience with the 25L pipe. My biggest concern was the extra weight and bigger footprint over the 20L. I did notice one guy on the Homebrewtalk forum had sold his 50L and was buying a 20L, but he could have had space constraints.
codex

Unread postby niels » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:12 pm

codex wrote:I did notice one guy on the Homebrewtalk forum had sold his 50L and was buying a 20L, but he could have had space constraints.

I saw that too... Although I don't think he ever bought the 20l BM as I saw him doing BIAB-ing in recent posts.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Return to Welcome!