New BM fan

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

Re: New BM fan

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:41 pm

It takes a little time but if you weigh your water into tour BM and then make a dipstick marked appropriately then you will always have the correct volume for your brew no matter what malt pipe you are using.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Re: RE: New BM fan

Unread postby ibbones » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:01 pm

BrauTim wrote:
texasmedicineman wrote: By the way, I'd be interested in knowing if you've located a Braumeister-specific "How To" book describing various BM brewing techniques, shortcuts, tips, etc. Also do you know of any BM-specific recipe book suitable for either or both of the two BM models?

Now there's an idea...someone had better get writing :lol:

(Raising hand) I nominate Niels.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby Batz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:27 pm

The diagram earlier in this thread is a bit confusing as it pictures the malt pipe inserted... I'll ask Ralf for confirmation!

- Niels

Thanks Niels, I'll be interested in Ralfs reply.
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby royco » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:10 am

This week I checked as it is a bit ambiguous. In the Speidel manual the brewing procedure section says you must fill water to the appropriate mark BEFORE inserting the pipe.

BTW, why do they have a separate manual for all models but the 50/20 share a manual. This is where the short pipe confusion comes in as it states "Fill water to the 53/23 liter level" (for a 50/20L batch)
royco

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:40 am

royco wrote:This week I checked as it is a bit ambiguous. In the Speidel manual the brewing procedure section says you must fill water to the appropriate mark BEFORE inserting the pipe.

BTW, why do they have a separate manual for all models but the 50/20 share a manual. This is where the short pipe confusion comes in as it states "Fill water to the 53/23 liter level" (for a 50/20L batch)

Yes, it is confusing and this is the reason I made a dipstick. My quantities are on for every brew since I made mine.

The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby royco » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:19 am

Yes Dicko, I've been threatening to make one but never got around to it. (Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow or the next day, or the next..........)
I have a length of aluminium flat bar, about 20mm wide. It will be easy to bend into a hook to fit the BM lip.
royco

Unread postby stokie brewer » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:15 pm

Dicko wrote:
royco wrote:This week I checked as it is a bit ambiguous. In the Speidel manual the brewing procedure section says you must fill water to the appropriate mark BEFORE inserting the pipe.

Yes, it is confusing and this is the reason I made a dipstick. My quantities are on for every brew since I made mine.

Dicko, when you made your dipstick did your weighed volumes match up with the BM marks?
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
stokie brewer

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:40 pm

Yes stokie brewer, it is spot on at 25 litres on my 20.
I have marked my dipstick in graduations of 1 litre and this gives me a pretty accurate check on volumes at different stages of the brew.
I have found that once I have Beersmith 2 configured to my requirements I really dont need the dipstick except for measuring the total water needed as my volumes and gravities are always exactly what the software predicts.
It is so much easier to measure your total water volume from a calibrated dip stick than to guess the volume from the centre rod that is only marked in increments of 5 litres.
I should add here that as of yesterday I have done 40 brews with my BM with the dipstick. :drink:

Dicko

Unread postby stokie brewer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:48 am

Thanks Dicko great idea
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
stokie brewer

Previous

Return to Welcome!