New BM fan

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.

New BM fan

Unread postby royco » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:04 am

Greetings from Durban, South Africa! After 2 Coopers brews last year I quickly moved to all grain with a cooler box and 2 pots set up. 4 or five sessions later the Devil showed me the Braumeister and I just couldn't help myself. It is a 50L and I have recently bought the 20L malt pipe. The BM is an ingenious system and brew days are so much more relaxed now.
royco

Model: 50 litres

RE: New BM fan

Unread postby niels » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:53 am

Hey Royco! Welcome to the forum!

Just for your information: the malt pipe is meant for 25 litres brews. This seems to be a common misunderstanding. :)

:cheers:
Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby texasmedicineman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:47 pm

Royco,
Congrats on your new acquisition. Here in Texas, I'm about to pull the trigger on either a 20l or 50l model. The BM seems to be a one stop shop apparatus for home brewing, but I want to know as much about this brand of equipment so that I'm adequately prepared to start using it...successfully. By the way, I'd be interested in knowing if you've located a Braumeister-specific "How To" book describing various BM brewing techniques, shortcuts, tips, etc. Also do you know of any BM-specific recipe book suitable for either or both of the two BM models? Thank you.
texasmedicineman
Beer: Res ipsa loquitur
texasmedicineman

Unread postby BrauTim » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:03 am

texasmedicineman wrote: By the way, I'd be interested in knowing if you've located a Braumeister-specific "How To" book describing various BM brewing techniques, shortcuts, tips, etc. Also do you know of any BM-specific recipe book suitable for either or both of the two BM models?

Now there's an idea...someone had better get writing :lol:
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby royco » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:35 am

Thanks Niels, I received no documentation with the short pipe! And texasmedicineman, you will be delighted with either model. If you are reasonably experienced the 50L will be great. If not, it's a shyteload of beer to dump if you get it wrong. The operation is very straightforward; a sort of BIAB principle as everything is contained in the pipe. It is strange that no-one has written a book on the BM as there are so many out there. The kit comes with a basic instruction booklet, including a sample recipe. You can download it if you want to get a run-down of how it works.
BTW, if I ply you with too much homebrew and you fall down, who is guilty? ;)
royco

Unread postby royco » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:49 am

Hi Niels, just realised, that explains why my first brew with the short pipe had an OG exactly 20% lower that expected! So the lower marks on the 50L must be 20,25,30L.
It would have been good to get some info with the short pipe.
royco

Unread postby niels » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:19 am

royco wrote:Hi Niels, just realised, that explains why my first brew with the short pipe had an OG exactly 20% lower that expected! So the lower marks on the 50L must be 20,25,30L.
It would have been good to get some info with the short pipe.

Didn't you receive a drawing explaining the marks when you get the short malt pipe?

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Twonky » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:56 pm

niels wrote:Didn't you receive a drawing explaining the marks when you get the short malt pipe?

I didn't either....
But I think I read about it in the general booklet.....
Which is not in proportion to the sales price and quality of the BM... you would indeed think they could supply a decent manual for the price they ask...

probably down to the fact that they are hardcore techies, and do not believe in manuals ;-)

Here in NL we have a saying, real men do not read manuals....

Cheers
Twonky

Unread postby royco » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:01 am

Haha! In South Africa we don't either. When things go very wrong we say "RTFM!" which means Read the ………Manual.
Dooie. (Oops, if NL is Newfoundland you won't know what that means. I took it for Netherlands. We understand Dutch here.)
royco

Unread postby niels » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:49 am

Voila... I contacted Speidel to get a digital copy of the drawing:

These sorts of information will be added to the wiki (which will be online by the summer, I hope).

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:50 pm

royco wrote:We understand Dutch here.)

Geweldig!
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby royco » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:44 pm

Heel duidelijk Niels. Indeed, geweldig!
royco

Unread postby Twonky » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:51 pm

Hai Royco hoe goan het?

royco wrote:Haha! In South Africa we don't either.……Dooie.

I worked for Irdeto fo 8 years, so yeah I know SA ;-)
regretfully I only visited Jo-burg once, and in the week I was there worked 114hours... so I did not see as much as I would have liked to...
But I did pick up a habbit.... I just finished my home made biltong (it goes so well with an IPA ;-)

At first as a dutch person you think I can understand each word they are speaking but what the hell are they talking about ;-)

royco wrote: (Oops, if NL is Newfoundland you won't know what that means. I took it for Netherlands. We understand Dutch here.)

I had a friend who had a Newfoundlander.. now that is a serious dog......

Or a ridgeback... is also a serious bit of dog...

Me I just had a border collie, also a very nice dog ;-)

Nice to meet you Royco!
Cheers
Twonky

Unread postby royco » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:33 am

Hai Twonky, and gooie dag. Yes, Afrikaans sounds funny to Dutch people; a bit like baby Dutch. Pity you only visited Jo-burg. Cape Town is one of the most beautiful places in the country.
But you learned to eat biltong? Wonderful. It does, inderdaad, go well with IPA ;)
PS: I did a lot of business in a little town called Barneveld, home of de kippen! My friend lived on the mountain, which was at least 30 meters high.
By the way, I had nothing to do with chickens.
Last edited by royco on Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
royco

Unread postby royco » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:41 am

BTW, are we allowed to chat in this section? I'm not yet familiar with the protocols of this forum
royco

Next

Return to Welcome!