Hi from SE Qld (Australia)

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.
rogerh
Model: 50 litres

Hi from SE Qld (Australia)

Unread post by rogerh »

I finally joined the ranks of BM brewers! I've been home-brewing (well, home fermenting :roll: ) since the 1970's, but started AG six years ago, and built up to a 3v HERMS setup capable of "double batches" (45 litres).

However, not long after starting the AG journey, I became aware of, and lusted after, a BM! The entry price was the stumbling block (sound familiar?) Then a couple of weeks ago I was in the right place at the right time and took over a BM50 from it's previous one owner who is transferring OS.

I'm really interested in pursuing the concept of LOB (low oxygen brewing) and my BM50 with it's jacket, copper hood, and LOB kit looks like a sound basis to embark on the next stage of my brewing journey.

Before I do my first BM brew though, there are three things need to happen. (1) mount my electric winch to the ceiling in my brew shed (winch arrived yesterday) and suitable mounting bracket is being fabricated today at my local workshop; (2) my sparky is due soon to install a dedicated 15amp power socket in the brew shed (I already have three phase power there, but the points are rated to only 10amps); and (3) get the necessaries to do the bottom drain outlet mod. I probably have all the bits and pieces in the "bits box", so that shouldn't be a major holdup.

I have observed that the control box (the grey one) is angled slightly down, which could have been caused I think by the unit being tilted forward to drain perhaps? So when I'm fitting the drain mod, I'll remove the control box and straighten the two mounting brackets.

I'm excited to join the ranks of BM owners, and look forward to learning and sharing ideas and techniques. :beer:

mashy
Model: 20 litres

Re: Hi from SE Qld (Australia)

Unread post by mashy »

Welcome aboard.

You have had a cracking find there and a sound plan of action. Well done.

What's is the first recipe you are planning?
Last edited by mashy on Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

wally

Unread post by wally »

Hi Roger,

Your name is familiar from ACB.

I take it that you are intending the pumped outlet mod. I've often thought about it, but my Brau sits on the brewstand from my old 3 vessel system (which I haven't had the courage to sell off). There is a March pump on the stand ,so I use that if required.

I have an electric winch over my system, which is mounted on an "upside down", yacht mainsheet traveller system. This allows me to move the malt tube away from the Brau to manage the drips when I'm emptying it. It also has the benefit of being able to keep the winch out of the condensation stream whilst boiling.

If you're interested in a photo I can take one and upload it.

Wally

rogerh

Unread post by rogerh »

Hi Wally and Mashy (yep, on ACB!)

I've drawn inspiration from the GermanBrewing forum < http://www.germanbrewing.net/docs/On_Br ... les_v3.pdf > and plan on a Helles for the plunge into LOB. Interestingly enough, after reading heaps on LOB, my bottled brew tonight tasted stale! Is that mind over matter, or that I've now had my attention focused on staling issues?

Reference the hoist, I'm planning on fixing the winch to the ceiling, with the BM trolley being wheeled away from under it, and a plastic tub on the trolley placed underneath the malt pipe to catch the drips.

I already utilise a range hood over my old 100 litre kettle to extract steam to the outside of the shed, so I'll initially place the rangehood over the copper hood. I'm undecided whether to slightly raise the hood above the lip of the BM to allow some air in, or just sit the hood on the lip, and let the rangehood suck up whatever steam it can find.

Reference draining the wort: I've relied on gravity to date to transfer the wort into cubes (the Aussie way), so I'll continue with that with the passive drain on the BM mod. Using the BM pump to pressure transfer/whirlpool is an interesting concept, but for now, I'll just use gravity transfers. The thing which interested me with the drain mod was to assist with cleaning, and not having to physically move the BM over to the sink to drain the trub and wash water.

Love to see your photo/s, and I'll do the same when my setup's in place. And my old 3v system is still intact. If it sells, it sells, but if not, I can press it back into service at the drop of a hat - quad brews, here we come.

mashy

Unread post by mashy »

The drain mod is good for draining, but brilliant for the actual cleaning if it is pumped. You can recirc your cleaning fluid, (hose down) while scrubbing.

Makes clean up easy, and I am all for making life easy.

rogerh

Unread post by rogerh »

Yes, I've been doing the mod this afternoon. It should be good for cleaning, and gravity draining the slops, so should simplify the cleaning process.

Regarding using a pump for whirlpooling, it might be OK for a single pump system (BM20) but for the twin-pump BM50, obviously you'd need to feed the output from both pumps into a single tube, which is where Speidel's pump kit comes in. However for DIY mods, you'd need to hack into the outputs of both pumps underneath the main vessel, so that's just not on.

For the LOB I'm planning, I'll neither sparge nor whirlpool, and just gravity drain from the outlet on the side.

mashy

Unread post by mashy »

I don't sparge. No point. tried it - not for me.

Ditto pumped whirlpooling - nah - too little, too long. Get a 3 bladed mash paddle double awesome. Great for mixing in & great for whirlpooling.

wally

Unread post by wally »

rogerh wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:57 pm
Hi Wally and Mashy (yep, on ACB!)

Love to see your photo/s, and I'll do the same when my setup's in place. And my old 3v system is still intact. If it sells, it sells, but if not, I can press it back into service at the drop of a hat - quad brews, here we come.

Hi Roger,

attached are some photos of my hoist system.

If anyone is interested, the Ronstan part nos. are as follows:-

Series 19, RC61901, car X 2

Series 19, RC6190-1.5 I-Beam Track X 1500mm

Series 19, RC61980,Track end X 1

RF498 saddle X 2

Expensive to duplicate, but if you have 50 years of accumulated spares, it's not too bad.

The connections to the traveller cars are simple steel plates with holes drilled to match the existing bolt holes, there is a saddle attached to the top of each plate by bolts countersunk on the underside of each plate, this mates to each traveller car.

Wally

Attachments
hoist 3a.JPG
Hoist 2a.JPG
Hoist 1a.jpg

rogerh

Unread post by rogerh »

Thanks Wally - nice setup.

I have the same electric winch as yours, and brew in an enclosed shed which has a mezzanine floor extending over half the ground floor, so I've hung the hoist over the edge of the mezzanine floor (fixed position), and have the BM on my old 3v mobile trolley.

Pics of the full setup on the weekend, after sparky installs a 15amp power socket.
winch mounted.jpg

IPA

Unread post by IPA »

I use the same hoist with a swinging arm. I lift and then swing sideways.

mashy

Unread post by mashy »

Blimey - In the UK that's the Hilka 250kg that thing must get everywhere - I bought one of those.

wally

Unread post by wally »

They work well, although mine is now de-rated to 125kg. I had to remove the large hook and swage on a "leftover" yacht fitting due to height restrictions.

That's a very neat setup Roger.

Looks like there are many ways to lift a malt pipe. It just depends on circumstances and ingenuity.

rogerh

Unread post by rogerh »

Hey Mashy, here in Oz they're sold as Giantz, but yeah - they've made their way all over, just under different brand names. Cost here is as low as AU$80 delivered!

Wally, On advice from my aeronautical engineer brother, I cut off the second swage sleeve/collar, as it was fouling on the pulley block at maximum lift.
Before removing the second collar
Before removing the second collar
I need all the lift I can get due to the height of my existing mobile trolley, and with that second sleeve removed, the cable now runs correctly on the pulley wheel, and there's about 20 - 25mm clearance between the BM unit and the malt pipe when it's lifted right out.

Reference the rated capacity of the winch: With a single cable lift (ie - no pulley wheel involved) this winch is rated at 125kg. As I understand it, there's a 5:1 load factor in that rating, so it could be expected to be loaded to 125 x 5 = 625kg minimum before failure would occur. On that basis, I'm happy to use it for this purpose where the max expected load would be around 60kg, and that's with a single collar/sleeve right at the thimble, and the pulley involved to slow down the lifting speed.